Would You Like to Become a Baby Sleep Consultant?
We understand education in a way no other provider does
Ours is the only science-based, evidence-based sleep consultant certification in Australasia taught by qualified teachers and industry experts. We teach our consultants the science of sleep, then the psychology of getting better sleep, and how to apply this knowledge to each client's individual needs.
Our course is accredited in Australia by the International Institute for Complementary Therapists (IICT). Our founder is also a ‘The Happiest Baby on the Block’ certified educator.
We use science-based and experience-based approaches
Consultants are trained in a wide range of techniques. This allows them to apply the most appropriate technique based on the baby's needs and parenting style. All well-respected behavioural methods are trained by us. Additionally, we have developed our own unique methods. Our proprietary methods, which have proven to be very effective, will be taught to you.
We ensure you are supported
You’ll be mentored by one of our senior infant and child sleep consultants. Keeping our high standards consistent across all consultants is the key to our success. This extra level of support allows you to confidently advise clients and provide the best possible care to them. You will be given assignments designed to help you learn and develop ideas and thoughts about infant sleep.
What Makes Our Training So Successful
Science and evidence based
Our certification is very unique because it focuses on evidence based techniques, taking into account all research on sleep as it is published. We consider the Neurobiology of sleep as well as behaviour modification techniques.
Integrated and all encompassing
We take a holistic approach to our training that includes breastfeeding/bottle feeding relationships, parent counselling, and emotional well-being.
You receive professional development in breastfeeding, nutrition, post natal depression/anxiety and sales. We are the only organisation that works this closely with subject matter experts to ensure you develop your knowledge in all aspects of sleep.
Gentle sleep solutions that promote wellbeing
We feel strongly about protecting the physical and emotional well-being of mother and baby/child at all times. Our consultants are aware of when a baby is neurologically ready to change their sleep habits, as well as how important sleep is to preventing postpartum depression.
Our consultants are familiar with different parenting philosophies, including attachment parenting and mainstream. They consider the temperaments of both baby and parent in the context of sleep and sleep training.
Our personal philosophy on no cry sleep training makes us sought after in gentle parent circles. These nurturing techniques were developed by us and have proven to be effective.
How Our Training Program Works
The training process consists of knowledge, skills, coaching, as well as practical training and supervision.
We work with our Infant and Child Sleep Consultants to teach them to understand the relationship between the science of sleep, the behaviour of sleep, and the emotional well-being component of sleep. First, we discuss new-born sleep and the science of why infants need sleep. Then we cover different stages of development including toddler years.
We do not believe in the one size fits all approach to sleep consulting or sleep training. Behavioural modification and sleep training are one solution, but our unique holistic approach means that in some cases they are not even necessary once sleep hygiene, environment, and timing are addressed.
Prior to moving onto sleep training, our consultants are taught to address key issues such as health, sleep environment, timing, culture, family situation, dietary requirements, and sleep associations.
Graduates from the Baby Sleep Consultant Certification program are trained:
- To address all sleep issues holistically with healthy sleep hygiene as a foundation
- To assist, demonstrate, and explain new-born sleep to parents in a way that compliments their parenting style
- In the most widely recognized international child sleep training methods, approaches and practices
- In our own proprietary methods
- In the science of sleep for infant and children
- In family situations and dynamics, children and adult temperaments, sleep environments, sleep associations, developmental milestones, circadian rhythm and its effect on nap timing, nutrition for sleep for infants and toddlers, and safe sleep practices
- To offer objective, comprehensive assessments
- To make recommendations based on the baby's age and developmental stage, along with the client's needs, lifestyle, and values
- With an in-depth understanding of sleep challenges and solutions, including but not limited to acid reflux, obstructive sleep apnoea, eczema, low weight gain, foot casts and hip casts, feeding tubes, blindness and deafness, and multiples births
- To know what is normal lactation and when to seek help from a lactation expert
- On various sleep solutions on the market and their safety
- To recognize signs that require medical attention, such as abuse, postpartum depression and anxiety (you will receive development on this topic specifically), tongue ties, and poor weight gain in order to be able to refer to the client accordingly.
What's involved in becoming a Baby Sleep Consultant?
Among the topics covered in our sleep consultancy certification are:
- Dream feeding
- Cluster feeding
- Bottle feeding
- Mix feeding
- Supplementary feeding
- Feeding tubes
- Weaning onto solids and the effects of solids on sleep
- Nutrition and sleep
- Toddler nutrition and sleep
- Parent nutrition and sleep
- Parent – baby relationships
- Sibling relationships
- Secure Attachment Theory
- Separation anxiety
- Developmental separation anxiety
- Colic and its causes
- Common medication for colic
- Reflux and the medications involved
- Reflux side effects and medication side effects
- SIDS – research and prevention and best practise
- Obstructive sleep apnoea
- Causes of OSA
- Solutions for OSA
- Swaddling and swaddling solutions
- Weaning from swaddling
- White noise
- Effective and non effective white noise – the baby shusher!
- overnight consults