Summer is coming!
Day light savings is starting this weekend!
Don’t panic – its the easy one! Just wake your child at 7am, and follow your normal nap schedule, he/she will take a few days to adjust but trust me its the easy one!
If your worried – just wake them at 6.15am, and then the following day at 6.30am and then 6.45am and then 7am – adjusting their naps by 15 minutes a day also.
Or get really crafty and enjoy the sleep in on Sunday and essentially run an 8am-8pm day, and then start day light savings on Monday waking bubs at 7am and getting back on track.
Now is the time to think about black out blinds, this will enable your child to go to bed nice and early all summer, and not wake at 5am with the birds and the sun!
If you have been struggling with early morning wake ups, use day light savings as your motivator to get things sorted, wake your baby at 7am, or if they previously used to wake at 5am they will at least sleep until 6am, with day light savings adjusted time.
Continue to gently encourage them to sleep later and later heading towards 7am over 1-2 weeks.
Ensure your first nap is not too early or too long, this is the kicker with ensuring 7am remains as your babies wake up time.
With summer just around the corner you also want to ensure your child will sleep in their push chair or porter cot so you are not home bound for every nap all summer!
Work on this now for a stress free summer!
Emma is the owner and founder of Baby Sleep Consultant, she is a certified infant and child sleep consultant, Happiest Baby on the block educator, has a Bachelor of Science, and Diploma in Education. Emma is a mother to 3 children, and loves writing when she isn't working with tired clients and cheering on her team helping thousands of mums just like you.
Our Baby Sleep Program helps tired parents TO DEVELOP HEALTHY SLEEP HABITS BY FOCUSING ON NAPS, SETTLING AND NIGHT SLEEP.
- Empowered: Feel empowered as a Mum as you learn to understand your growing baby's needs and cues.
- Simple effective settling: Gentle, proven self settling, evidence based techniques.
- Content happy baby and parents: Better sleep creates content babies & happy parents.
- Freedom: Predictable routines and longer nights creates freedom. Solve your sleep problems for more freedom.
- Work with your babies circadian rhythm: Work with your babies biological clock for faster easier results.
- Awesome naps & nights: You'll create consistent naps and nights with our support.
Try our online sleep program, complete with FREE email support.